[vox-tech] How to Generate Colorized Table Slides for Presentation?

Sun, 7 Mar 2004 05:33:49 -0800

On Sun 07 Mar 04,  4:06 AM, Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com> said:
> On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 10:28:26PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > On Sun 07 Mar 04, 12:44 AM, Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com> said:
> > > http://simons-clan.com/~msimons/tt/
> > >
> > > (ps: if using the dvi you'll need to say xdvi -paper usr s.dvi)
> > >
> > > At the end of the first page you will see the \hline from the second table...
> > > I would like that to not appear on the first page.
> > >
> > > At the end of the second page it chops a table in half (which I'd like
> > > to avoid)... I've tried putting optional \pagebreak[3] but they are
> > > ignored... I've also tried non-splitting row completes \\*, which
> > > don't seem to help... I also tried adding comments to the end of every
> > > line (for some reason I remember that as some gotcha from long time ago).
> > >
> > > If anyone has ideas how to fix, hints would be wonderful...
> >
> > i thought bill had this problem awhile ago.  our archives stink, so you
> > might just want to ask him.
>
> Well I don't know about our archives stinking...
> grepmail on my 30 meg vox-tech archive takes a few seconds.

well, i guess our archive are awesome.  the search utility is *useless*.
it doesn't even always print mail correctly.  don't GET me started...

grepmail sounds interesting.  from its name, i assume it knows mbox and
can print out entire messages based on grep patterns.  does it thread?

> I think I've come to the conclusion that I'll tell latex to put a .5
> inch boarder around the page, pick a readable font size, figure out how
> many lines fit in a given page, and have my perl stuff spit out long tables
> of the correct length for a page... using pagebreak when needed.

sure.  if you feel up to it, it might be nice to post a summary of your
task at hand and solution.  prolly a lot of writing, but i'd sure be
interested in reading it.

> Also from reading over the archives, it seems to me that tex/latex is
> very stagnate.  latex2e was released sometime in 1994 and version 3
> project which started then... doesn't really have anything released.
>
> Sigh...

true.  the dev team is a little secretive.  but here's what we can
expect from latex 3:

http://www.latex-project.org/guides/ltx3info/node4.html

pete