[vox-tech] latex: setting rigid margin on equations

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:36:14 -0800

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hi all,
>
>                     in normal displaymath, latex
>
>                               centers
>
>                           its equations.
>
>                               however,
>

>     i think it's a cleaner look when all my equations are flush
>     against some right margin, perhaps at a margin of about 4
>     or 5 em's.
>
> is there a way to do this?  i need for my solution to be non-invasive.
> if my dissertation committee doesn't like my flush look, i need to be
> able to switch back to the centered style.

Pete

I was curious about this problem and used it to learn how to program
latex environments.  How is this for a start?

\renewenvironment{equation}
{\addtocounter{equation}{1} \begin{flushright}%
     \begin{tabular}{rrp{2em}} $\displaystyle}
{$ & \hspace{0.1\textwidth} & (\theequation)%
              \end{tabular} \end{flushright}}

\renewenvironment{displaymath}
{\begin{flushright} \begin{tabular}{rrp{2em}} $\displaystyle}
{$ & \hspace{0.1\textwidth} & \end{tabular} \end{flushright}}

It seems to work, except for one small problem.  I can't get the
equation number to flush right in a column of specified width.  I'd love
to figure this out, but I gotta get back to working on my own paper...

Jonathan