[vox-tech] Wireless range

Trevor M. Lango tmlango at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jun 22 09:38:41 PDT 2004

Rod Roark wrote:
> Speaking of wireless networking - what kind of range are
> people getting within a house or office building?  I
> understand line-of-sight is important, and obviously you
> won't have that between different rooms.

I have the home portal wireless router through SBC Yahoo! DSL.  A friend
and I were recently testing the ability of our laptops' wireless cards to
pick up signals.  My laptop doesn't drop from 11 Mbps to 5.5 Mbps until
nearly 100 feet away in the backyard.  I can easily pick up signal on the
street and my router is buried in a closet in the center of the house.

> Also, any comments on using 802.11 in a hospital?  I know
> many hospitals ban cellphones, but have no idea how bad the
> RFI from wireless networking might be by comparison.

Type: "hosptial 'wireless networking'" into Google and see what you get! ;-
)