[vox-tech] Wireless range

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Jun 21 18:03:06 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 05:43:06PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> Speaking of wireless networking - what kind of range are
> people getting within a house or office building?  I
> understand line-of-sight is important, and obviously you
> won't have that between different rooms.

Inside something like a house or apartment, line-of-sight isn't an issue.

I was able to walk outside, down the parkinglot, and to the other side of
my building, and still get a usable WLAN on my Zaurus.  And that was going
through two other apartments in the building!

e.g.:

 [me]   |  apt 1  |  apt 2  |  apt 3  |  apt 4  |

where "X" is approx where the wireless access point is (near the ceiling
on the ground floor).  (Apts 1 and 4 are 3-bedroom, and shaped a little
differently, if you're curious about the bulges on either side :^) )

Obviously, you wouldn't be surprised to hear I get good wireless reception
upstairs in my office or bedroom. ;)