[vox-tech] Printing under KDE

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:14:27 -0700

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 08:23:42PM -0700, Richard Ely wrote:
> No, localhost:631 is not there.   I know it has been there and working=20
> because we used cups to print a document the other night.  How do I insta=
ll=20
> it?  Probably trashed something trying to get the network to run.

There's your problem - make sure cups is installed and the cups daemon
is running. You may need to start it using /etc/init.d/cups start, and
you'd need to make sure that it starts at your default runlevel.

>=20
> What is the relationship between CUPS and printcap file which I do not se=
em=20
> to have.  Don't I need that?

Dont' worry about the printcap file. CUPS doesn't need /etc/printcap.
CUPS stores its information in /etc/cups/printers.conf, which you edit
using the web interface localhost:631, or using some other tool.

>=20
>=20
> BTW: Response,  Not my idea, the installfest guys were trying to solve a=
=20
> network problem which remains.   Are you any good at debugging why two ni=
c=20
> cards do not seem to work together on a machine?
>=20
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>=20
> Thanks Dick
>=20
>=20
>=20
> At 01:14 PM 6/3/2004, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> >Make sure cupsd is running (in KDE, you can run ksysguard to see a list =
of=20
> >running processes).  Then try using the html cups interface; in the=20
> >location bar of a browser enter:  localhost:631.  Add and configure=20
> >printers from there.  I don't fully trust other printer setup utilities=
=20
> >yet.
> >
> >BTW:  running a knoppix installation on the harddrive is=20
> >unconventional.  It is great way to experience much of Linux without too=
=20
> >much initial effort.  However, you may find it quite difficult to change=
=20
> >the default configuration and to fix problems that do occur.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Jonathan
> >

> >Richard Ely wrote:
> >>I have been using Knoppix  KDE 2.6 installation and learning slowly.  A=
t=20
> >>an installfest I had the printer working perfectly.
> >>I do not seem to be able to set up any printers.  Whenever I run the KD=
E=20