[vox-tech] Samsung ML1710: "Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0"

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Sat Jul 31 03:36:20 PDT 2004

jn Sat 31 Jul 04,  3:22 AM, Issac Trotts <ijtrotts at ucdavis.edu> said:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 02:54:15AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > On Sat 31 Jul 04,  2:52 AM, Issac Trotts <ijtrotts at ucdavis.edu> said:
> > > This printer was working great before, but not anymore.
> > > Here is what I get in the Cupsys web interface:
> [...]
> >
> > hi issac,
> >
> > some random thoughts:
> >

> > have you looked for USB relevent messages in dmesg and
> > /var/log/messages?
>
> Here's some scariness in dmesg:
>
> hub.c: USB hub found
> hub.c: 2 ports detected
> hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-3, assigned address 2
> usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-110)
> hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-3, assigned address 3
> usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-110)
> hub.c: new USB device 00:02.1-3, assigned address 2
>
> and some other similar messages with different addresses.
>
> Not that I know what to do about it...

me neither!  i know more about writing usb device drivers than i do
about configuring the usb system on a workstation.  :)   but i would
definitely google for:

   USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-110)

as a start.

> > since this is a usb printer, what happens when you unplug/replug the
> > printer back in?
>
> I just tried it and didn't notice a change.  lsusb gives the same
> result and the cupsys page still has a complaint.

yeah -- that was a dumb question on my part.  the problem isn't with the
printer.  it's with the USB system.

> > is your usb system still getting assigned an interrupt?
>
> Yes.  Here's the info from dmesg:
>
> ehci_hcd 01:08.2: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0
> ehci_hcd 01:08.2: irq 12, pci mem e08cd000

just out of curiosity, that *is* showing up in /proc/interrupts, right?

> > do you have any other USB devices?  are they recognized on this system?
>
> I have a Microsoft USB optical mouse that works fine.

on the same system?  hmmmmm.  i'm still sticking to my guns that it's a
USB problem, not a printer problem.

pete

ps- isn't it 3:30am over there?  are you hanging out with dave attel?
:-)