[vox-tech] Samsung ML1710: "Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0"

Issac Trotts ijtrotts at ucdavis.edu
Sat Jul 31 03:22:02 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 02:54:15AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Sat 31 Jul 04,  2:52 AM, Issac Trotts <ijtrotts at ucdavis.edu> said:
> > This printer was working great before, but not anymore.
> > Here is what I get in the Cupsys web interface:
[...]
> hi issac,
>
> some random thoughts:
>

> have you looked for USB relevent messages in dmesg and
> /var/log/messages?

Here's some scariness in dmesg:

hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-3, assigned address 2
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-110)
hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-3, assigned address 3
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-110)
hub.c: new USB device 00:02.1-3, assigned address 2

and some other similar messages with different addresses.

Not that I know what to do about it...

> since this is a usb printer, what happens when you unplug/replug the
> printer back in?

I just tried it and didn't notice a change.  lsusb gives the same
result and the cupsys page still has a complaint.

> if you built the usb system as a modular system, what does lsmod look
> like?  any modules that are obviously missing?

This is basically a stock Debian 2.4 kernel.  I can't tell if any
modules are missing from the lsmod list.  Which ones should I be looking
for?

> speaking of modules, any errors in dmesg related to modules that you
> don't recognize?

Didn't see any.

> is your usb system still getting assigned an interrupt?

Yes.  Here's the info from dmesg:

ehci_hcd 01:08.2: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0
ehci_hcd 01:08.2: irq 12, pci mem e08cd000

> do you have any other USB devices?  are they recognized on this system?

I have a Microsoft USB optical mouse that works fine.

> using something like samsung's gui program doesn't seem fruitful to me.
> the first rule of hardware is that it has to be seen before you can do
> anything with it (like loading a driver, for instance).  it sounds like
> the the printer isn't being seen.
>
> this sounds more like a USB problem than a printer problem...

OK.  Thanks for helping!

Issac

--
Issac Trotts