[vox-tech] Samsung ML1710: "Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0"

Issac Trotts ijtrotts at ucdavis.edu
Sat Jul 31 02:52:51 PDT 2004

This printer was working great before, but not anymore.
Here is what I get in the Cupsys web interface:

    Location: room
    Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs.
    "Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0": No such device"
    Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0

It won't print a test page from the web interface, but it will if I
hold down the only button on the printer.  The usb coord is plugged in
but the printer doesn't show up in lsusb:

$ lsusb
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 045e:0053 Microsoft Corp.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I also don't see it when I bring up usbview.

I installed the latest ML1710 driver from Samsung after the printer
stopped working, but it hasn't done any noticable good.
Running modprobe printer also doesn't help.

Samsung's gui program llpr tells me that the printer is disabled,
but when I click on the Properties button to find a way to enable,
it spews out some verbiage and then crashes:

    Caught fatal signal 11!! Aborting.
    Process 1824 Stack dump:

I'm out of ideas at the moment.

--