[vox-tech] First impressions of Slackware 10.0 (Hi, Bill!)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 30 11:42:09 PDT 2004

Quoting Margo Schulter (mschulter at calweb.com):

> Hi, everyone, and I'm online for the first time with a version of the new
> Slackware Linux 10.0 release called ZipSlack. Bill, you asked about gpm
> and screen, and I'll comment on those in a bit, remarking for now that one
> of these programs seemed to be less my strong suit than vi -- to which I'm
> new, being accustomed to GNU Emacs 19.31 or Pico, but am using for my
> SysAdmin stuff. More specifically that's Elvis, a kind of "vi meets the
> 21st century and HTML."

The great thing about Elvis is that, if your system reboots with a file
being edited still open, upon system relaunch you get e-mail from Elvis!
Now, did your DOS system ever send you e-mail from The King, I ask you?

When you have time, and if you're still doing vi experimentation, do
have a look at Vim (Vi IMproved, by Bram Moolenaar).  On the minus side,
it's larger, and has some extensions that aren't wholly compatible with
original vi.  (":set cp" enables compatibility mode, in which vim is
bug-for-bug compatible with nvi.  ":set nocp" turns on Vim extensions.)
On the plus side, it has many improvements.  (I'm a vim fan.)

Depending on your background with prior editors, you might like jstar
(WordStar keybindings), which is actually the WordStar emulation mode of
"joe" (Joe's Own Editor).
http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/jstar.1.html

Any vi will have a steep learning curve.  The gain is that you can be
assured that it'll always available in some variant on any *ix system,
and thus you'll always be able to do basic administration, there.  Thus,
sysadmins often gravitate towards vi.  Coders often gravitate towards
emacs, as it is a comfortable environment for pretty much all coder
tasks.

--
Cheers,           find / -user your -name base -print | xargs chown us:us
Rick Moen
rick at linuxmafia.com