[vox-tech] On my boxes, Windows is outperforming Debian in network speed

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Sun Jul 25 23:12:09 PDT 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:29:22 -0700
"Issac Trotts" <ijtrotts at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 11:23:38PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 11:11:47PM -0700, Issac Trotts
> > (ijtrotts at ucdavis.edu) wrote:
> > > On my laptop, the networking is noticably faster when I boot in
> > > Windows(XP).  It is a shameful situation.  The networking is also
> > > painfully slow on my Debian desktop computer.  Both are connected
> > > to a Netgear

[somehow, that problem is solved, yet I include the summary because it
establishes that we're talking about a Debian box]

> > > didn't help noticably.  Not sure if it the line in resolv.conf
> > > will get automatically removed when I reboot...
> >
> > Depends on how you're configuring network.  With DHCP or PPP
> > networking, the /etc/resolv.conf file can be rewritten when your
> > connection is established.
>
> I just rebooted.  Initially the name lookups were slow, but I put
> nameserver 127.0.0.1 back in /etc/resolv.conf and now the lookups are
> fast.  Not sure what changed...
>
> I'd like to know how to make this line show up automatically in
> /etc/resolv.conf on startup.

/etc/resolv.conf is a PITA when working with DHCP daemons. Install the
resolvconf package. Then read the documentation for how to modify your
/etc/network/interfaces file to work with it. I think you might
accomplish the trick by adding the 127.0.0.1 name server entry to the
configuration stanza for interface lo. (I don't think that 127.0.0.1
gets added merely by virtue of bind being installed, but I could be
wrong.)