[vox-tech] On my boxes, Windows is outperforming Debian in network speed

Karsten M. Self karsten at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 25 21:55:09 PDT 2004

on Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 09:29:22PM -0700, Issac Trotts (ijtrotts at ucdavis.edu) wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 11:23:38PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 11:11:47PM -0700, Issac Trotts (ijtrotts at ucdavis.edu) wrote:

> > > On the desktop computer I have improved the speed in the past by messing
> > > around with some name server caching stuff, but now it's back to being
> > > slow for some reason.  I have bind installed, and my /etc/resolv.conf
> > > looks like this:
> > >
> > >     search
> > >     nameserver 127.0.0.1
> >
> > Are you *running* an effective nameserver on localhost?   If not, every
> > session you initiate is going to time out on the local nameserver before
> > trying your fallbacks.
> >
> > Comment out the localhost (127...) line above and reasses.
> >
> > >     nameserver 63.217.0.5
> > >     nameserver 63.216.0.6
> > >
> > > I inserted the 127.0.0.1 by hand and ran /etc/init.d/bind restart but it
> > > didn't help noticably.  Not sure if it the line in resolv.conf will get
> > > automatically removed when I reboot...
> >
> > Depends on how you're configuring network.  With DHCP or PPP networking,
> > the /etc/resolv.conf file can be rewritten when your connection is
> > established.
> >
> > > There's some program that tells you which nameserver is being used to
> > > resolve names, but I don't remember its name right now.
> >
> > 'host' or 'dig'.  Latter preferred.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

For clarity and to support conversational discussion style, please use
bottom-posting format:  your reply goes below the material cited.  Trim
your quotes appropriately and ensure your attributions are accurate.

See:

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/email-style.html
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
    http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/top-posting.html

Thank you.

> I just rebooted.  Initially the name lookups were slow, but I put
> nameserver 127.0.0.1 back in /etc/resolv.conf and now the lookups are
> fast.  Not sure what changed...

Sounds as if you'd killed or failed to start your nameserver previously.

> I'd like to know how to make this line show up automatically in
> /etc/resolv.conf on startup.

Put it there.

I don't know if you've specified your configuration or networking
configuration, but ppp and dhcp should allow you to specify an
overriding preference for nameserver.

You've failed to address this question above.  Support-over-ESP protocol
is currently disabled on my systems.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <karsten at linuxmafia.com>        http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten