[vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Richard Harke rharke at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 25 19:28:18 PDT 2004

On Sunday 25 July 2004 09:17 am, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Jonathan Stickel (jjstickel at sbcglobal.net):
> A data point:  The Linux kernel team was obliged to start the entire
> infrastructure of tracking "tainted modules" in part because of useless
> bug reports from Nvidia users, whose systems were fscked up by
> Nvidia's proprietary modules.   So, the kernel team were obliged to come
> up with a way of detecting those situations, did so, and they now make
> very clear that they will summarily disregard any bug reports from such
> users.  (Why?  Because too much time had been wasted chasing down what
> turned out to be Nvidia bugs.)
I have used Nvidia cards for several years. Installation was a bit tricky
four or five years ago but I've never had my system fscked up as a result
of using Nvidia. When ever there were bugs, the problems were confined
to the video, usually just that X would refuse to run. Of course some people
probably didn't read the README and who knows what happened to them.
It has gotten much better recently. Nvidia needs to access the actual current
kernel headers because it builds a kernel module. This is quite different
from code that only accesses the kernel via libc.
Most recently, I got the Nvidia driver as a deb file from the debian site.
Its not the very latest, however, being one back.

> Reports about Radeon 9200-series cards and the open-source DRI drivers
> continue to be good.
ATI has had its share of problems on its high end cards.

Richrd Harke