[vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Ashleigh Smythe absmythe at ucdavis.edu
Sat Jul 24 15:23:55 PDT 2004

Quoting Rick Moen:

>Oh, everyone has opinions.  ;->  Mine are a little out of date on the
>current state of video, because, one, I don't buy often, and two, I
>couldn't care less about whizbang 3D graphics features that are all the
>rage among people truly impassioned about these things.[1]

I too am not in need of 3D - I don't play games at all.  This is why
I thought I'd skip getting the graphics card and figured I'd be fine
with the integrated graphics - I just need X to run Lyx (LaTeX
frontend), mozilla, OpenOffice, and Ximian Evolution - just about
everything else I do is at the command line.

I'm still working my way through the rest of Rick's graphics comments
to figure out what to do - I only ruled out upgrading to Sarge for
the moment because I don't have it on CD (bought Woody from
aboutdebian.com) and I don't have a modem to apt-get it with!  Maybe
I should solve the modem problem (i.e. buy a real dang modem!) and
then I'll have download options for the graphics issue.

Thanks again!

Ashleigh