[vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 23 10:20:11 PDT 2004

You've already received some good help, but see my comments below.

Ashleigh Smythe wrote:
<snip>
> 1. I can get the Xserver to start but only with the resolution and color
> depth very low. My graphics card is an integrated Intel 3D AGP card
> (Intel 828456) and it is not listed in the set-up choices so I chose vga
> at the suggestion of the aboutdebian.org installation tutorial I was
> following. I think I got the correct driver for my card from intel
> (intelgraphics_060704) but the README instructions are only for the .rpm
> version of the file - there is no indication of where I should put the
> file or what else I need to configure to get it to work.

My wife got a Dell for technical computing recently with one of these
onboard intel graphics cards.  They are terrible!  In Linux she had the
same symptoms you are having and spent 3 days trying to fix it before
giving up.  I really recommend going to Fry's and getting a 64MB Nvidia
card for less than $40.  First, make sure you have an open AGP slot on
your motherboard (hopefully you do).

> 2. I can't get the modem to even attempt a dial. It is a 56K PCI
> Telephony modem (internal) but a friend called Dell and they insist it
> is not a winmodem and that it should work. I followed several tutorials
> that showed me how to configure ppp by editing /etc/ppp/peers/provider
> and /etc/chatscripts/provider but I'm not sure I know which ttyS my
> modem is on so I kept trying /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 but still no
> dialing. When I type pon and the plog I get "pppd 2.4.1 started by root"
> and then pretty much all the abort messages from the provider files:
> abort on busy, abort on no carrier, abort on voice, abort on no
> dialtone, send(ATZW2^M), expect (OK). Sorry I can't post the exact
> message - can't connect from that machine! How can I find out where my
> modem is (what serial port it is on)? A friend was helping me and he
> thinks that may be the problem.

Please send the output of "lspci".  That way we might know what type of
chipset it is.

Jonathan