[vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jul 23 09:39:03 PDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:26:52 -0700
Ashleigh Smythe <absmythe at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Hello!  I just got a new Dell (Dimension 2400, Pentium 4, 2.66 GHz)
> and managed to perform my first Linux install with Debian Woody (I
> got it too late for your installfest :( ).  I think the OS installed
> fine, but I'm having some problems configuring and I hoped some of
> you gurus could offer some suggestions:
>
> 2.  I can't get the modem to even attempt a dial.  It is a 56K PCI
> Telephony modem (internal) but a friend called Dell and they insist
> it is not a winmodem and that it should work.  I followed several
> tutorials that showed me how to configure ppp by editing
> /etc/ppp/peers/provider and /etc/chatscripts/provider but I'm not
> sure I know which ttyS my modem is on so I kept trying /dev/ttyS0 and
> /dev/ttyS1 but still no dialing.  When I type pon and the plog I get
> "pppd 2.4.1 started by root" and then pretty much all the abort
> messages from the provider files: abort on busy, abort on no carrier,
> abort on voice, abort on no dialtone, send(ATZW2^M), expect (OK).
> Sorry I can't post the exact message - can't connect from that
> machine!  How can I find out where my modem is (what serial port it
> is on)?  A friend was helping me and he thinks that may be the
> problem.

Oy, vei. Just use wvdial, or pon/poff.

Could you cat /proc/pci and send us the appropriate entry for the modem,
so we can see whether it's a winmodem or not?

> 3.  Finally, in trying to configure an old Iomega zip100 drive, the
> debian.org howto says to append the following line to
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:
>
> # Enable the Zip drive
> /sbin/modprobe ppa  # imm for recent models
>
> Only I don't have that rc.d directory in my /etc.  Any suggestions?

Just add a line saying "ppa" to /etc/modules

In Debian, the files found in /etc/rc.d/* can be found in the similarly
named directories in /etc, but debian has no equivalent to
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (I don't think). If you need your own initscript,
you create it in /etc/init.d and link to it from the appropriate
/etc/rc*.d directories.