[vox-tech] Debian Unstable: XMMS acting funny?, Mozilla keypad no work, etc.

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 23 08:52:33 PDT 2004

Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Is anyone else's Debian unstable system acting funny with XMMS?  My XMMS
> just goes through the playlist like it's just a list to be skipped around
> (none of the songs play, but I see the highlights moving through the
> list.)

I don't use Debian, but when I first started using xmms along time ago
this happened to me.  I turned out that the output plugin was
incorrectly selected to be "disk writer" which converts your playlist to
wav files!  I don't know if this is your problem or not.

> This happened with a Debian unstable upgrade a couple days ago.  I just
> upgraded again but it's not working.  Anyone else having a similar
> trouble?
>
> On a sidenote, my Mozilla won't take inputs from the keypad.  It's been
> like that since my last-last upgrade.  Anyone having a similar trouble?
>
> AWWWWWWW~ I hate Debian unstable upgrades!!!  Is Gentoo better at this
> than Debian?  'cuz I'm really tempted to make the transition of Gentoo
> doesn't have problems like this.

Gentoo basically has two release levels for its "packages" (actually
just scripts to build stuff from source): stable and testing.  I use
stable but select some testing packages.  Gentoo stable is generally
much more up-to-date than Debian stable!  Upgrades go well most of the
time, but sometimes there are bugs that prevent a package from building.
  Often these problems have simple fixes.  But most importantly, once
things are built there is almost never a problem with functionality.

Jonathan