Knoppix dma (Re: [vox-tech] X crash, Mozilla)

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 21 21:45:50 PDT 2004

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
<snip>
> another thought about your X problem:
>
> get yourself a copy of knoppix and live with it for awhile.  just long
> long enough to convince yourself of either one of two things:
>
>    1. yes, the X problem persists with knoppix.
>
>    2. no, the X problem went away with knoppix.
>
> once you're sure of which statement is true, post back to the mailing
> list and let us know.

Not sure why, but Knoppix doesn't use dma by default for ide devices;
maybe because old hardware doesn't support dma and will hang.  But
without it, Knoppix can be a frustratingly slow experience.  When you
get the knoppix boot prompt, type "knoppix dma" before hitting enter to
enable dma.

Just thought I would share this since Knoppix has been getting mentioned
a lot on this list lately.

Jonathan