[vox-tech] My PPP problems resolvedd

Margo Schulter mschulter at calweb.com
Wed Jul 21 16:03:28 PDT 2004

Please let me thank David at CSUS for his help, and confirm that my PPP
problems are resolved at least in terms of restoring connectivity: I went
over to the CSUS Library and downloaded an MS-DOS program to a floppy that
has gotten me back online.

My main purpose is just to get out the message that my connectivity
problem is resolved -- and, of course, to thank David, who did a fine job
of technical support and helped me to rule out one possible problem
well worth doublechecking.

Also, Henry, I'd like to support your point that the LERT agreement  is a
fair and prudent basis for technical support offered under the aegis of
LUGOD, much like the disclaimers in many open software licenses. From what
I've seen, often the people and organizations making the applicable
disclaimers are among the most responsible, generous, and friendly  when
it comes to offering support.

Please let me also briefly explain the nature of my problem, lest people
get an exaggerated idea either of my technical prowess (with DOS or **IX)
or of my inclination to prefer the "lowest-level" solution possible for
any problem.

First, the system I'm using has MS-DOS 6.22 and DJGPP (a 32-bit DOS port
of much of the GNU project by D. J. Delorie and others), but not Windows.
For almost eight years I relied on  UNIX shell account access through a
DOS terminal program called ProCommm Plus -- as simple as dialing a BBS.

Then, this May, I learned that my ISP had discontinued dial-up shell
access, so I would need to telnet into my account via a ppp connection.
On the system I was then using, a DOS program called QNOS solved the
problem neatly. Now I could concentrate on planning for a Gentoo install
on a new system.

However, on the new system that i'm now using, QNOS fails to negotiate
PAP. I decided to try debugging WebWolf ppp -- WebWolf is the "Linux on a
floppy" (literally) I had tried on the older system unsuccessfully before
succeeding with QNOS. Of course I woulndn't take WebWolf as representative
of a typical Linux in 1997, 2001, or 2004! That's what a Gentoo install is
for --yes, I'm going for a networkless Stage 3 from a Universal Live CD,
and then set up ppp as simply as possible (with wvdial as my ideal for a
Margo-friendly text-based solution).

Anyway, when my debugging wasn't solving my connection problem (on DOS or
WebWolf), I decided to seek some advice -- and just talking with David
helped a lot. I was also considering looking for some kind of smallish
LINUX distro maybe supporting a UMSDOS installation while I completed my
preparations for installing Gentoo, or any CD-bootable distro supporting
text-based access with a keyboard.

Again, warmly thanking David and also the many other members of LUGOD who
offer education and support (e.g. a CD-ROM from 2001 where I got a copy of
the PPP-HOWTO), I'd like to emphasize that my purpose was to find the
simplest text-based solution possible. Both WebWolf and QNOS were intended
to use a simple setup like wvidal, and trying to repair ppp-on-dialer was
_not_ my first choice, especially when it comes to seeking telephone help.

Prolonged debugging attempts to reestablish Internet access can seem
almost like a sensory deprivation experiment; thanks to Bill and David for
their generosity and human contact, as well as technical and
communications assistance, that have helped to see me through.

Most appreciatively indeed,

Margo Schulter
mschulter at calweb.com