[vox-tech] Knoppix as Debian Installer (was PPP problems; need help over phone or housecall (Sacramento))

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Wed Jul 21 11:31:57 PDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

[...]

> even better, she can turn her system into a real debian based system
> using knoppix as well; no muss, no fuss!

I have done this a couple of times... it has the advantage of being very
easy to do.  Unfortunately, as time goes on, the fact that Knoppix uses
very cutting edge package repositories (esp. developer websites) as
apt-get sources can undermine system stability.  I have already fixed
sources.conf, but I am currently trying to learn more about how apt-get
works so I can downgrade the old development packages into the main Debian
upgrade path.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing