[vox-tech] SSH Auth keys via PuTTY

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 15 10:57:45 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 10:36:16AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Hi, I've been given an account on a server to do some volunteer webmastering,
> and was asked to provide my SSH public key.
>
> Since I'm currently on dialup via WindowsXP at home (*sigh*) [*], I'm
> SSH'ing in through PuTTY.
>
> I downloaed "puttygen.exe", which can generate various kinds of
> public/private key combinations.  I created a 1024bit SSH2 DSA key pair,
> and save the public and private keys to disk.  I grabbed the contents of the
> public key and sent it to the server's administrator, who presumely did
> whatever needs to be done with it...
>
> I then created a PuTTY session to connect to that host via SSH, and
> told it to use my private key.  (Connection->SSH->Auth->Private key file...)
>
> Unfortunately, despite everything seeming 'proper' on my end, I have been
> unable to connect.  I know very little about this (on either end; client or
> server), and don't know _precisely_ what he's done on the server, but I'm
> going under the assumption that he knows what he's doing, since he's done it
> for other users.
>

> The error that PuTTY seems to be throwing back is:
>
>   Server refused our key
>   No supported authentication methods left to try!
>

> Any ideas?!  (I know, it's a long-shot :^) )

No ideas for you to try. *They* should make sure that
${BILLS_HOME}/.ssh/authorized_keys is chmodded to 0644. SSH will
refuse to accept any key in an authorized_keys file that is group or
world writeable (even if you're the only person in the group). This is
a security feature that protects an attacker from sticking a new key
into the file and gaining access to your account that way.