[vox-tech] SSH Auth keys via PuTTY

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Jul 15 10:36:16 PDT 2004

Hi, I've been given an account on a server to do some volunteer webmastering,
and was asked to provide my SSH public key.

Since I'm currently on dialup via WindowsXP at home (*sigh*) [*], I'm
SSH'ing in through PuTTY.

I downloaed "puttygen.exe", which can generate various kinds of
public/private key combinations.  I created a 1024bit SSH2 DSA key pair,
and save the public and private keys to disk.  I grabbed the contents of the
public key and sent it to the server's administrator, who presumely did
whatever needs to be done with it...

I then created a PuTTY session to connect to that host via SSH, and
told it to use my private key.  (Connection->SSH->Auth->Private key file...)

Unfortunately, despite everything seeming 'proper' on my end, I have been
unable to connect.  I know very little about this (on either end; client or
server), and don't know _precisely_ what he's done on the server, but I'm
going under the assumption that he knows what he's doing, since he's done it
for other users.

The error that PuTTY seems to be throwing back is:

  Server refused our key
  No supported authentication methods left to try!

Any ideas?!  (I know, it's a long-shot :^) )

-bill!

[*] Just got my DSL modem today, and should apparently have DSL activated
    some time today!  Yay!