[vox-tech] BTTV Problems with multiple cards

Hans W. Uhlig deathguard at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 11 20:41:56 PDT 2004

--- Mark Street <mark at oswizards.com> wrote:
> I built one of these earlier this year.
>
> A quick search of your error matches something
> similar in the Linux kernel
> archive..

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0402.0/1410.html

Thanks for the link, I spent 2 hours googling for what
you found in 5 min. :-/

> I found that card placement in the PCI slots made
> the difference for me,
> although all I had in the system at the time was an
> AGP graphics card.

Well it wont make much of a difference since its a
miniatx board and all three pci slots are full when I
have all three capture boards in

> We don't know what hardware you are using or the
> Linux distro.

Hardware:
Athlon 2500+ (Barton 333Mhz)
MSI K7N2GM nforce2 Crush 18G Chipset Mobo
[Built in Lan,VideoChip,Video Out from board used for
space]
[Unit Has in Space Order, 1 AGP 8x, 3 PCI, 1 CDM(MSI
Propriatary WIFI/MODEM connector(unused)]
512MB Known Good Ram
2 Maxtor HDDs, 160GB/120GB (120 off each drive
raid-1ed for storage, rest split in boot area on first
drive for system)
250Watt PS/Case(nifty design)
Old 4x DVD Drive, No Floppy

Software
Debian Sid Install(Up to date as of 10 min ago)
mplayer custom build for testing(it works on one card)
mythtv installed and working(when one card in only,
not used for testing)

> I am using an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe mobo with 5 PCI
> slots with alsa and the ivtv
> drivers.
>
> Here is my lspci -v
>
> 02:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext
> Compression Inc iTVC15 MPEG-2
> Encoder (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.
> WinTV PVR-250
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency
> 64, IRQ 22
>         Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
> [size=64M]
>         Capabilities: [44] Power Management version
> 2
>
> If the card is out of sync and has interlacing
> problems you may need to tune
> your modules.  What does your modules.conf look
> like?  What
> parameters/options are you passing when you load the
> kernel modules for the
> cards manually?  I think I still have my notes and
> references around here
> somewhere... .shuffle papers....

:/etc/modules
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules
that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments
begin with
# a "#", and everything on the line after them are
ignored.

i2c_nforce2
ide-cd
ide-detect

#Kick on those ACPI Modules
ac
battery
fan
thermal
button
processor

#Load Alsa Drivers
snd-mixer-oss
snd-pcm-oss
snd-seq-oss
snd-seq-device
snd-seq-midi
snd-seq

#Load BT Drivers before intel810 to keep dsp, video,
radio and vbi numbering even
bttv tuner=2,2,2 radio=1,1,1 bttv_verbose=2
snd_bt87x

#Load intel810 after BT Drivers
snd_intel8x0

#Load Before X
nvidia

> I would follow the other Mark's advice and start
> with 1 card, get it working,
> then add the additional cards.

It works with one card, already confirmed that,
(Recorded harry potter earlier)

Problem comes with 2 or more
 I might be willing to give a talk on building a
mythtivo if anyone is interested. If I can get the
bloody thing to work that is.

=====
Hans W. Uhlig