[vox-tech] BTTV Problems with multiple cards

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Sun Jul 11 17:28:02 PDT 2004

I built one of these earlier this year.

A quick search of your error matches something similar in the Linux kernel
archive..
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0402.0/1410.html

I found that card placement in the PCI slots made the difference for me,
although all I had in the system at the time was an AGP graphics card.

We don't know what hardware you are using or the Linux distro.

I am using an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe mobo with 5 PCI slots with alsa and the ivtv
drivers.

Here is my lspci -v

02:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15 MPEG-2
Encoder (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR-250
        Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]

If the card is out of sync and has interlacing problems you may need to tune
your modules.  What does your modules.conf look like?  What
parameters/options are you passing when you load the kernel modules for the
cards manually?  I think I still have my notes and references around here
somewhere... .shuffle papers....

I would follow the other Mark's advice and start with 1 card, get it working,
then add the additional cards.

On Sunday 11 July 2004 15:46, Hans W. Uhlig wrote:
> I purchased not long ago a new machine to function as
> a mythtivo and finished assembling it this weekend,
> sadly when I dropped in the three bt878a capture cards
> the unit just decides to spit out a greenscreen/static
> across the bus. If I rip out any 2 of the cards
> leaving just one it works fine.
>
> All three Cards are identical, and to note if I change
> the tuner=x setting when insmoding/modprobing it will
> sometimes show partial channels, such as one that
> looks like its off frequency, badly interlaced and out
> of sync, pal mode gives me a similer output but on a
> different channel.
>
> Card is a bt878a with a Phillips FM1236 tuner.
>
> Also one other thing to note is while running on one
> card only it spits out these messages periodically
>
> bttv0: timeout: drop=64 irq=97874/97876,
> risc=1490e07c, bits: HSYNC OFLOW FDSR
> bttv0: reset, reinitialize
>
> Any help would be appreciated greatly
>
> Hans W. Uhlig
> OE Technician
> Staples 0718
> Woodland, Ca
>
> =====
> Hans W. Uhlig
> deathguard at yahoo.com
> http://purple.worldforge.org/~huhlig
> "Life is a Long and lonely road, Bring a friend"
>
> GPG Fingerprint : 2470 6619 6156 9A0E 577E E7B1 D2BB C9BA 07C0 C7BF
> GPG Public key  : http://purple.worldforge.org/~huhlig/deathguard.asc

Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com
GPG key http://www.oswizards.com/pubkey.asc