[vox-tech] squirrelmail questions

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Sat Jul 3 18:44:33 PDT 2004

On Sat 03 Jul 04,  3:44 PM, Rod Roark <rod at sunsetsystems.com> said:
> On Saturday 03 July 2004 02:05 pm, p at dirac.org wrote:
> > 2. how is squirrelmail secure?  without https, don't passwords get sent
> >    out via plaintext?
>
> Yeah but nothing is stopping you from using HTTPS.

ahhh.  ok.

> > 3. looking at security focus, it seems like squirrelmail has a horrible
> >    security track record.  yet i see very security minded individuals
> >    using it.  what gives?
>
> Dunno... but in my experience TRULY security-minded people
> are rare.  Most of us think nothing about the fact that our
> paper mail sits in a little unlocked box next to the
> sidewalk for much of the day.

i've only ever had one mailbox that didn't lock, and i was never
comfortable with it.  every other place i've ever lived had a locked
mailbox.  you see, i'm from new york city.  :)

> Or what could I learn about
> you by taking the garbage that you leave out on Tuesday
> nights?

probably nothing.  we don't do garbage on tuesdays.  :)

but even if we DID do garbage on tuesdays, we shred most of our stuff.
we bought this big pseudo-industrial shredder.

you'd probably learn that i happen to go through a lot of coffee.

pete

ps - do a google image search on the NYC skyline.  you'll see two sky
scrapers: a tan one with a bell logo on it and a dark tan one that had
no windows.  that was a class 1 routing office.  me and my friends used
to go dumpster diving at those two sky scrapers every friday night.  it
was gross, but always yielded good stuff.  we stopped diving at the AT&T
building when a guard caught us and called the cops on us.  but then a
few months later, i had a friend who got hired as a programmer, and he
got me in and out of the building whenever i wanted, so dumpster diving
at that building became irrelevent.  we still dived at the NYT building,
plus a bunch of small central offices.  got lots of accounts in cosmos
that way.  lots of contact numbers.  this was back in 1986 - 1988 before
anybody really thought about that kind of stuff.

but for some reason, i just can't picture _you_ dumpster diving...  ;-)

--
In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In practise, they aren't.