[vox-tech] squirrelmail questions

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Sat Jul 3 15:44:51 PDT 2004

On Saturday 03 July 2004 02:05 pm, p at dirac.org wrote:
> i don't know the first thing about web mail (or web anything, for that
> matter).  sorry for brain dead questions in advance.
>
> i'm investigating web mail for times where i only have access to
> microsoft windows, and can't install an ssh client.
>

> 1. can squirrelmail live side by side with a "normal" MUA like mutt?  in
>    other words, can one use mutt when at home and squirrelmail "on the
>    road"?

SquirrelMail uses IMAP, so as long as you have an IMAP
server it should be fine.

> 2. how is squirrelmail secure?  without https, don't passwords get sent
>    out via plaintext?

Yeah but nothing is stopping you from using HTTPS.

> 3. looking at security focus, it seems like squirrelmail has a horrible
>    security track record.  yet i see very security minded individuals
>    using it.  what gives?

Dunno... but in my experience TRULY security-minded people
are rare.  Most of us think nothing about the fact that our
paper mail sits in a little unlocked box next to the
sidewalk for much of the day.  Or what could I learn about
you by taking the garbage that you leave out on Tuesday
nights?

I'm pretty sure my unencrypted email is way more secure than
any of that....

-- Rod