[vox-tech] MacOS X, terminals, and ncurses apps

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:20:28 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Ken Bloom wrote:

> I find my self frequently sshing from a MacOS X box to my Debian box
> using the built-in terminal and ssh applications. When I do this, it's
> usually to check my email using mutt or compose email using mutt or
> vim.
>
> Here's my problem - the arrow keys don't work, and I don't get color
> either (Instead, my line-number column in vim is bolded and underlined
> in a very ugly manner). How can I configure the connection to work
> correctly (either by changing MacOS X terminal options, or by changing
> $TERM and choosing/installing an appropriate termcap/terminfo entry)?

What is $TERM on the Mac? xterm-color? ssh should pass this value through
to your debian shell.  Make sure you have a terminfo file on the debian
box for whatever the mac $TERM is.

If the terminal emulation sucks, you'll have to look into improving it by
changing terminal emulation settings (on the Mac) or by obtaining a better
emulator than the standard terminal window that allows such changes.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing