[vox-tech] [Semi-OT] Mac modem connector

Ken Herron vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:39:48 -0800

--On Thursday, January 29, 2004 04:42:58 AM -0800 Bill Kendrick
<nbs@sonic.net> wrote:

> My dad has an old Mac Performa 6215cd with an external 56K modem.
> I'm hoping to be able to use that modem with this new Linux box,
> rather than buy a new one, or figure out an internal one.

Some of the old macs had a serial port form factor like you describe. The
plug looked like a PS/2 keyboard/mouse plug, though the pin arrangement
was different;  electrically it was an RS-232c port but missing one of
the signals. (I don't recall which signal, but I think it's only
important if you want to receive calls.)

You could look for an adaptor at Fry's or go online, but that hardware
has been considered obsolete by the marketplace ever since the first
iMacs came out. I think you're more likely to find something to use a
standard modem with the mac than to use a mac modem on a standard PC.

Short of buying a new modem or a new/refurbished mac that runs unix and
has a builtin modem and a warranty and runs all of your dad's old
software and everything just works, your best bet might be to open the
modem case and see if you can replace the cable with a PC-style cable. Or
you could cut the end off the cable and install a new plug, if you could
figure out the pinout. You have a soldering iron, right?
--
Ken Herron