[vox-tech] REPOSTING Radeon 9600 pro + red hat 9 + gnome

Dave Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:28:34 -0800 (PST)

My guess is that you successfully installed the driver and now you just
need to (re) configure X.  Redhat comes with Xconfigurator (spelling?).  I
personally use xf86config.  The _no screens_ error usually means you
haven't specified a correct set up of horiz/vert refresh rates to make
your monitor and graphics card play nice.

RedHat does a lot things its own way and X is one of them.  It's really
easy to set up a graphics card RH knows about (usually just autodectected
and configured during install).  Since that didn't work out for you, you
unforuntely have to do things the ugly way...ugly meaning editing the
XF86Config (usally found in /etc/X11) configuration file manually, or
using a not-quite-as-user-friendly non-gui tool (like xf86config) to help
you generate that file.

The good thing about doing things this way is that you learn a lot more
about what XFree86 is and what it does, along with some of the hows and
whys of Linux drivers and all that fun stuff that a typical RH
installation tries to hide from you.