[vox-tech] spams originating from my friends server

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:08:21 -0800

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 08:37:31AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Often, it turns out that the complainant is fundamentally mistaken, and
> the offending mail never went anywhere near your MTA.  People frequently
> file mistaken reports of this nature because they credulously believe
> forged "From:" and similar headers, having themselves never learned
> header analysis.  Spammers and creators of malware software typically
> cause headers to be forged in order to evade responsibility and shift
> all blame onto others (such as your friend).

When I checked my email this morning, I was greeted with what must have been
about 200 bounced messages.  Spams which someone sent, and used one of my
addresses as the "From:" line.  So, when the spams hit tons of nonexistant
or blocking addresses, _I_ ended up with them in my inbox.

Thankfully, I check my email on my ISP, so I don't have to download all of
that junk.  Also, I use Mutt, so it was easy to hit [L]imit, type
"failure", and then hold the [D]elete key down for a few seconds to wipe
'em out.

Still pretty damned irritating.  One day I might become one of those
tech-geek-hermits who never use e-mail.  (KIDDING) ;^)

-bill!