[vox-tech] can't ssh to suse 9 pro amd64

Bill Broadley vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:58:22 -0800

> Its a opteron based duel cpu running suse 9.0 pro for amd64.

Interesting, I can say for sure it's not a standard problem on suse, or amd64.

> My problem: I can't log into it using ssh.
>I made sure the sshd is running and its configured using all default parameters

Did you run sshd AFTER the network interface was configured?  AFAIK sshd
doesn't auto probe for active interfaces, so any that pop up after are
invisible.

Does it perhaps not allow root login?  Maybe you need to login
as a user.

Is there a ACL in /etc/hosts.deny or /etc/ssh/sshd_configure?

Can you nmap the sshd port?

Is the account your trying to login to expired?  Is there anything
in the opterons /var/log/secure or /var/log/messages?

What happens if you ssh -v anything informative?  Any warnings in
syslog about filepermissions?  Is your dir world writeable?

--
Bill Broadley
Information Architect