[vox-tech] Mail Header Weirdness (Mutt/Exim)

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:14:24 -0800

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

P=E5 tisdag, 13 januari 2004, skrev Edwin P. Groot:
>      I just got sending email to work on my Debian 3 machine!  I am=20
> checking what's on my university mail server by POP3 using mutt, and I
> compose mail in mutt, sending it via SMTP and exim to my university mail
> server.
>      When I check my mail, the From: header is what I want - my regular
> university email account, but the Sender: and ReturnPath: headers are
> edwin@orchid.biologie.uni-mainz.de, which is the login and computer name
> of my Debian machine.
>       Should I worry about the last two headers not having the same
> address as the first header?

No, this is normal. At some point in the future, spam filters may check
whether the sender of the message is a legitimate mail exchanger for the
domain listed in the From: header, but this is not done yet because there is
no standard framework for properly authenticating an association between a
mail exchanger and a domain.

--=20
Henry House
The unintelligible text that may follow is a digital signature.=20
See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> for information.  My OpenPGP key:
<http://hajhouse.org/hajhouse.asc>.

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe--