[vox-tech] Server Email-Calander Solution

Daniel Hurt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 09 Jan 2004 10:54:31 -0800

Greetings All,

I had a question that has been bothering me awhile about email.  I have
three computers:

Linux Laptop - Gentoo with Ximian Mail Client
Linux Desktop - Gentoo with Ximian Mail Client
Windows Desktop - XP with Outlook Mail Client

I would like to be able to have calender and mail
replication/synchronization between all these computers.  I was
wondering if this is possible.  The calender is the most important one
because it is a pain to keep up two-three calenders (I barely have the
time/discipline to update one).  It would also be nice to just have to
sort the email once, I have filters that do most of the work, but I
should not have to do something twice that is why we have computers ;-).
I am really not needing a multiuser solution, but it might be nice to
have.  For email synchronization I can just use postfix and imap courier
daemon to have my clients use the same folder on the unix desktop, but
that does not get me the calender synchronization (or contacts, but that
is not too big of deal).

I have looked at a couple solutions:

SUSE LINUX Openexchange Server 4.1
http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/openexchange/prices.html
I do not really have that kind of cash to make life easier, it is not
that hard ;-)

Exchange 4 Linux
http://www.exchange4linux.com/exchange4linux/Home
The documentation that I found was not that great, but this might be the
best solution that I have found.

M$ Exchange Server
I could also install exchange server on the windows machine and the
exchange plugin for ximian, but I do  not feel that this is a great
solution at all.

I was wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions or comments on
this problem.  I am not completely tied down to the outlook/ximian
combination, the main thing that I am after is calender and email
synchronization.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Dan