[vox-tech] Providing access to SSH on Kiosk?

Ken Herron vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:48:07 -0800

--On Monday, January 12, 2004 16:58:43 -0800 Bill Kendrick
<nbs@sonic.net> wrote:

> Is there anyhting 'bad' people can do from the menus in Xterm?
> (e.g., Ctrl+click, +middle-click and +right-click)?

The worst I could find offhand is that the user might be able to try to
print things and/or create logfiles on the local computer.

Mandrake's xterm has a couple of menu options labelled "print window" and
"printer-redirect". Checking the man page, there are a few X resources
related to printing things. The discussion of the "printerCommand"
resource describes a way to disable it. You should run xterm as follows:

	xterm -xrm '*printerCommand:'

The solaris xterm (and older xterms I've seen) lets you log the session
to a file. The feature seems to be missing in mandrake, but your system
might have it. You can disable this by giving it an invalid logfile name:

	xterm -lf /dev/null

Alternately, you might look at other terminal programs. rxvt looks
promising; it's simpler overall and it doesn't have a logging capability,
though it does have the ability to submit print jobs.

--
"Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared
the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons

Kenneth Herron        Kherron@newsguy.com       916-366-7338