[vox-tech] Move / from one HD to another

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:20:24 -0800

I don't get the stuff about /usr/local.  It would be better
if you can boot up something like a Knoppix CD, so you are
not trying to copy the root filesystem from which you are
currently running.  I would do something like this (being
careful that I might have screwed something up!):

1. Make a boot diskette for your current system.

2. Boot a Knoppix CD.

3. If necessary, run fdisk and partition /dev/hdb.

4. cd /mnt
   mkdir old
   mkdir new
   mount /dev/hda1 old
   mount /dev/hdb1 new
   cd new
   cp -avx /mnt/old/* .
   cd ..
   umount old
   umount new

5. Power down, move hdb to hda, changing jumpers as needed.

6. Boot from the diskette you made in step 1.

7. Run lilo.

-- Rod