[vox-tech] Move / from one HD to another

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:41:47 -0800

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 08:24:44PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Anyway, since I have copious amounts of space on my 2nd drive, is it
> easy to just 'move' the '/' parition over, run LILO to make the newer
> drive bootable, and then remove the dying drive?  (Obviously setting
> the 2nd drive as "Master" now, since it's currently "Slave")

My current plan (thanks to Steve Wormley for some tips) is:

  * single user mode

  * Move "/usr/local" into a subdir on that partition:

    * mount the "/usr/local" parition on HDB as "/mnt"
    * mkdir /mnt/usr/local
    * mv /mnt/* /mnt/usr/local/
    * cp -a --one-filesystem / /mnt/

  * Use the newly built "/" parition on HDB as "/" (chroot)

  * Edit /etc/fstab

  * Run LILO

  * Change "Slave" to "Master" on HDB (making it HDA), remove old HDA

  * Cross fingers

;)

Seem reasonable?

-bill!