[vox-tech] sound, kde, xmms, arts

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 00:54:34 -0800

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 04:29:46PM -0800, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> With my recent upgrade to KDE 3.2 (and arts 1.2), arts is broken in xmms
>  (ver. 1.2.8):  xmms locks up when I hit "play" and I have to kill it.
>  I can still use xmms with ALSA and OSS, but only if I completely kill
> arts.  I was not able to find a way to fix xmms+arts.

I had to do this for my dad.  I decided to let artsd run, and then
discovered that XMMS would hang, as you discovered.

I asked around and the solution was to run esd ON TOP of artsd, and then
have XMMS talk to esd.

Crazy... and latency is probably horrible... but then again, it's just
XMMS, it's not like a game (where sound effect latency would become quite
irritating and unsettling). :^)

I think the trick was to run:

  artsdsp esd

You'll hear the little rising tones from ESD starting up, hopefully.
Then XMMS should work, if you tell it to pipe thru ESD.

In a hurry... hope this helps!  Good luck!

-bill!
PS - my grandma isn't going to last long, so my dad headed out of state to
be with her and his sisters, so I won't know how he likes his shiny new
KDE/Debian/Linux box for at least a week.  I'll post once I get word that
he's back in town and has tried it out