[vox-tech] sound, kde, xmms, arts

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:35:10 -0800 (PST)

Lol... I was complaining about sound on Linux just yesterday myself.

I've had trouble with ARTS skipping and stuff, too.  ESD works better for
me, though it craps out now and then so I made ESD run automatically when
needed and quit when not (so it resets whenever no process is using
sound.)  There's some delay issue but a fraction of a second of delay is
not an issue unless it needs sync, like with a movie.  So with mplayer I
don't use esd.

I usually only have one app using sound so this setup hasn't been a
problem for me.  I only need sound from multiple sources only when I'm
listening to music and away from the computer, and wants some sound effect
noficiation (like from gaim.)  So this setup is working nicely so far.

But since you use KDE this setup may not be viable - KDE is tied into ARTS
so tightly.  But maybe you know some way to try out a different daemon
without much trouble.  If you do try out ESD, some interesting programs
you might wanna use are: esd (the daemon), esdplay (plays *.wav files via
esd), and esddsp (prefix it before the name of a program that uses OSS to
make it use esd instead of OSS.)

-Mark