[vox-tech] sound, kde, xmms, arts

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:29:46 -0800

I've struggled along time with getting multiple applications to play
nice together with sound.  I use KDE, so generally arts likes to take
control of sound.  I've detested the awful latency of arts, but I had
begun to just accept it because it does mix sound sources well.  For
example, I can play mp3s with xmms (using arts) and notification sounds
from GAIM (using arts) will come through OK (also using arts).  However,
if I use ALSA (or OSS via ALSA-OSS emulation) for xmms, the sounds from
GAIM don't come through until I stop my music.

With my recent upgrade to KDE 3.2 (and arts 1.2), arts is broken in xmms
  (ver. 1.2.8):  xmms locks up when I hit "play" and I have to kill it.
  I can still use xmms with ALSA and OSS, but only if I completely kill
arts.  I was not able to find a way to fix xmms+arts.

So I tried other mp3 players, specifically juk and noatun.  In addition
to the familiar arts latency, I get _skipping_ when playing mp3s.  After
some research, I set suid for artswrapper and decreased my sound buffer
(via KDE's control center).  This actually got rid of the latency, but
my music still skips!  This did not happen when I was able to use xmms
with arts.

What can I do to make sound "just work"?  Is there anything else I can
try with arts?

I read a little about how to open more than 1 pcm channel with ALSA, but
it seemed a little complicated.  I may yet give it a try.  BTW:  I get
ALSA support through my 2.6 kernel, if that makes a difference.

Jonathan