[vox-tech] FSTAB Questions

Dave Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:08:41 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, ME wrote:

> On a multi-user system with a mounted windows filesystem, you may have
> desire for everyone to have read access, but only a few to have write
> access to the mounted windows volume. Here is what I have found to work:

I don't understand this scenario.  What is a dual-boot, mulit-user system?
If a system is truly multi-user, I would assume that means maximum uptime.
I don't remember being told I couldn't ssh into a machine I have an
account on because at the moment somebody had booted it into Windows!

Does anybody out there have dual-boot machines with public access (like in
a lab or something)?

I assume the machine in question is a single or limited user desktop,
and that the machine's owner wants the easiest and/or most
elegant method of mounting the windows drive for read/write access.

A question:
Couldn't the entry 'user' be left off this next line below with the same
effect?

> /dev/hda1  /mnt/dosc vfat     defaults,user,auto,uid=win,gid=win,umask=002
>  0  0

This is a good suggestion for many user access problems.  Creating a
special group instead of umasking/chmoding some directory or device to 777
is always a better plan of attack.  This kind of thing has come up before
on this list...getting sound as a user being a recent example.

Dave M.