[vox-tech] FSTAB Questions

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:07:42 -0800 (PST)

Gee. What else could be said on this topic?

Heh heh heh...
(comments below)

Robert G. Scofield said:
[chop]
> 1)  Does this order look okay?  Is /dev/hda1 in the right place?  Man
> fstab
> says that order is important.

Other answered this well enough in this thread.

> 2)  Instead of "umask=0" I originally tried "defaults", and then
> "rw,user."
> But with these, Open Office couldn't write to the Windows files.  (I've
> haven't tried backing up yet.)  Umask=0 is working fine.  But here's the
> question.  I've come across an old Mandrake 9.0 fstab and here's the entry
> for the Windows partition:
>
> /dev/hda1   /mnt/windows   vfat   iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0
> 0 0
>
> Is there some advantage to having this sort of complicated entry?  Will I
> screw something up with my simple umask=0?  Should I copy the Mandrake
> entry
> into my SuSE system?

[chop]

I did not see any mention of this so I'll comment on it.

On a multi-user system with a mounted windows filesystem, you may have
desire for everyone to have read access, but only a few to have write
access to the mounted windows volume. Here is what I have found to work:

/dev/hda1  /mnt/dosc vfat     defaults,user,auto,uid=win,gid=win,umask=002
 0  0

Focus on the options "uid=" and "gid=" and the "umask" otion discussed by
others:

Of couse your mount point and your device will differ, and you may have
other options to add, the above is very useful.

First, create a user named "win" (example) and set its shell to be
/bin/false and set the password to be invalid for any crypt (! or * for
example in password field)

Also, create a group called "win".

Then, when the above options are read during the mount, the mount has a
directory tree of files chmod 775 , owned by "win" and group "win".

As a result, you can locate anyone into the "win" group and they can all
read and write to the windows share. This permits all of these users to
have write access at the same time and makes the volume always available
on boot.

By alternative, you can set the mount option to 007 and then nobody can
read unless they are amember of the win group.

I use this on a few systems that have multiple users and a mounted windows
filesystem.( umask 007 )

If you have users on your system that you do not completely trust, you
probably do not want to expose a bootable windows filesystsm to read
access. Files can be copied off the volume for cracking purposes to use
the next time the windows system is "booted" (this assumes that the
windows volume can be booted and would be.)