[vox-tech] Re: kdelibs compile error

Michael Dunham vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:35:21 -0800

Jennifer

I use FreeBSD Current - We had a similar problem when the new KDE hit the ports tree.  There are issues with conflicts because features have moved between libraries and that is causing conflicts.  You have three choices - wait until other people sort out the error and a better system gets put up for Gentoo, deinstall all of KDE and do a fresh install with 3.2, or try a staged upgrade.  The staged upgrade worked for me, a lot of people are doing a full reinstall.

I can't claim to know much about the set up of Gentoo but here is the order of things on FreeBSD:

In serial fashion - meaning one at a time, not in parallel.
Update your list of current libraries (on FreeBSD this is cvs)
force a reinstall of  XFree86-libraries, then gmake, then qt
deinstall kbase
force a reinstall of kdelibs
Do a make install of kbase

At the point where you have gotten through the upgrade/reinstall of qt
you can start these tasks in another session in parallel:
deinstall  kdenetwork
either install or force upgrade kdepim
install kdenetwork (I did this in parallel with the upgrade of
kdepim and had no problem)

If  you are doing this in sessions as a super user from X, logout of X
and restart your X/KDE session.  If you are doing this from the command
line, no problem - you should now be able to start X and/or continue to
update the rest of the KDE related packages.

Not pretty but that is the way of things...
When compiling kdelibs-3.2 (via Gentoo emerge), I get the error pasted
below.  As best I can tell, some library linking is broken.  I've
re-emerged qt and arts, but the error still occurs.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jennifer