[vox-tech] circuits with latex

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 21:29:59 -0800 (PST)

Well, m4 is a macro processor, like the C preprocessor.  It doesn't do
anything but translate a sequence of strings to another set of strings.
Any text it hasn't been instructed to process goes straight through m4,
without any translation.

So to use circuit_macros, you need to pass 2 files to m4:

   1. The file you want to process.
   2. A file containing instructions on which strings to process,
      and how.

#1 is the file you create.  #2 is libcct.m4 file that comes with
circuit_macros.  So you end up with:

   $ m4 /path/to/libcct.m4 circuit.m4 > circuit.pic
   $ gpic -t circuit.pic > circuit.tex

BUT, I highly recommend you use dpic instead of gpic.  The output looks so
much nicer (at least it was last time I checked).  You can get dpic from:

   http://www.ece.uwaterloo.ca/~aplevich/dpic/

dpic also requires an additional file, pstricks.m4 (comes with
circuit_macros), so you end up with:

   $ m4 /path/to/pstricks.m4 /path/to/libcct.m4 circuit.m4 > circuit.pic
   $ gpic -t circuit.pic > circuit.tex

It's a little complicated to remember (and cumbersome to write out each
time) so you probably want to wrap everything in a script.

-Mark