USB and serial (was Re: [vox-tech] lbncurses.so.4 issue)

Ken Herron vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 03 Feb 2004 07:24:16 -0800

--On Tuesday, February 03, 2004 06:23:43 AM -0800 "Richard S. Crawford"
<rscrawford@mossroot.com> wrote:

> Assuming the software wants to talk to a serial port, and the device
> only has a USB port, is there a way to make them talk to each other?

If the kernel supports this UPS, then when the UPS is plugged into a USB
port, the kernel should create some devices for software to interact with
it. If the UPS requires a serial-port device then I'd expect the kernel
to create a serial port for it.

What does the kernel do when you plug the UPS into a USB port?

--
Ken Herron