[vox-tech] lbncurses.so.4 issue

Richard S. Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 02 Feb 2004 22:11:45 -0800

My wife just picked up for us a Belkin UPS device: a "Regulator Pro Gold
Series", which looks pretty spiffy.  I hooked it up and attached my RH8
server to it, and now I'm trying to get the ups daemon installed.

Unfortunately, whenever I try to start up the daemon, I get this error:

"Error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.4: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory"

...which doesn't surprise me, since the software was tested against no
later version of RH than 6.2.

My question is, is there a way to get it to talk to RH8?  I tried
opening the "upsd" script, but it's a binary file and I can't look at
the source code.  And while Belkin says it's compatible with Linux,
there is no documentation on their website, and the documentation on the
CD is lousy.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford