[vox-tech] another tip: reading passwords in a shell script

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Sun Dec 26 23:07:51 PST 2004

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 10:38:31PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:
> UC Davis has several services which have absolutely no relation to
> HTTP, but nevertheless require you to login over the web in order to
> take advantage of these services. Among these services are
> news.ucdavis.edu, and Moobilenet (the UC Davis wireless network).
>
> Here's a simple script (that seems to work) to automate the login.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> COOKIES_FILE=$(mktemp /tmp/cookies.XXXXXX)
> chmod 600 $COOKIES_FILE

There's a little trick I just discovered here that works quite nicely
with this script - for reading a password in a shell script without
echoing it on the screen

stty -echo #turn off echoing what is typed
echo -n "Password: "
read PASSWORD
echo #because that return that you typed at the end wasn't echoed
stty echo #turn on echoing what is typed