[vox-tech] Kernel Panic Dissipated

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Dec 24 11:42:19 PST 2004

On Fri 24 Dec 04, 11:31 AM, Robert G. Scofield <rscofield at afes.com> said:

> Okay I tried  the second option after reading Bill Wells post.  It
> worked!

It's a really good feeling, isn't it?   :)

I used to love going on LERT calls to rescue systems.  The cycle of
emotions:

   Oh, shit!!!  (accompanied by sinking feeling in stomach)
   OK, what the heck is going on?
   I don't understand this at all!
   Oh, wait.  I have an idea...
   W00t!  It works!

If you ever want to do a kernel compile in the future, we can walk you
through it.   Main points are:

1. First time can be hard.  After that, it's not much at all.

2. More learning.  I've learned a lot about computers in general
   simply by reading the kernel config's help blurbs.

3. Get more performance out of your computer and faster boot times.

4. Get a bunch of kernels in /boot to fall back on.

5. If you already have another working kernel, it's safe to do.

When you have some time and feel up for it, let me know and I'll walk you
through it.

Congrats!
Pete