[vox-tech] Kernel Panic

Bill Wells hammer29 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 24 10:01:52 PST 2004

From the suse security announcements mail list

could this shed any light on the problem

Bill Wells

On Thursday 23 December 2004 09:19 pm, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
Subject: [suse-security] Re: SUSE Security Announcement: various kernel
problems (SUSE-SA:2004:044)

--7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 11:28:58AM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 03:21:07PM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >=20
> > Like some of you noted the 9.2 kernels RPMs are not there anymore, even
> > though they are listed in the advisory.
> >=20
> > This is due us receiving reports where the Yast Online Update updating
> > this kernel made the machine fail to boot.
> >=20
> > The reason is that a script is no longer creating the vmlinuz and initrd
> > symlinks as is required for successful booting.
> >=20
> > We are preparing updated fixed packages for this problem and will be re=
leasing
> > them hopefully within the next day(s).
>=20
> We have released fixed 9.2 kernel packages, available either from Yast On=
line Update
> or via the URLs below.

The following only affects SUSE Linux 9.2.

We received additional reports of breakage if you have additionaly the User=
Mode Linux
Kernel package "kernel-um" installed.

In this case the system initrd will be created from "kernel-um" and not from
"kernel-default" or "kernel-smp"=20

As workaround:=20

- If you do not need the kernel-um package, deinstall it using:
 rpm -e kernel-um

   and recreate the system initird by running:
    mkinitrd

   before rebooting.

- if you need the kernel-um package, restore the symlink using:

        ln -sf /boot/initrd-2.6.8-24.10-default /boot/initrd

    (replace -default by the kerneltyp you use, detectable by:
     rpm -qa|grep kernel-

     which will be either "default", "smp" or "bigsmp".)

  after installing the updated packages and before booting the new kernel.

Ciao, Marcus

--7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k

--7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k--