[vox-tech] Kernel Panic

Robert G. Scofield rscofield at afes.com
Thu Dec 23 19:03:34 PST 2004

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

>Jonathan's suggestion is the most economical and likely to succeed.  Let's
>see what's inside of /boot.  I'm hoping there will be more than one kernel.
>
>Pete

Okay, with the duplicate system I had a hard time figuring out which was
the "working" one.  So here's the info.  If the entry does not appear in
white in /boot, then the color of the entry is in parentheses following
the entry.  I hope my handwritten notes are correct.

"System.map-2.6.8-24.10-default
System.map-2.6.8-24.10-um
backup_mbr

boot (pale blue)
config-2.6.8-24.10-default
config-2.6.8-24.10-um
grug (blue)
initrd (green)

initrd-2.6.8-24.10-default
initrd-2.6.8-24.10-um
linux (pale blue)
linux-2.6.8-24.10-um (green)
memtest.bin

message
symvers-2.6.8-24.10-i386-default.gz (red)
symvers-2.6.8-24.10-um-um.gz (red)
vmlinux-2.6.8-24.10-default.gz (red)
vmlinux (pale blue)
vmlinuz-2.6.8-24.10-default"

I'm wondering if I should have done a ls -l to get dates for these.

I'm going to have to attend to some family matters right now.  But I'll
be back to this later tonight.

Thanks.

Bob

>PS- A good project after this is done is to compile your own kernel -- one
>that has vital modules, like filesystems, built in rather than loaded as
>modules.

Me?!