[vox-tech] Kernel Panic

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Thu Dec 23 18:10:15 PST 2004

On Thu 23 Dec 04,  6:05 PM, Robert G. Scofield <rscofield at afes.com> said:
> Rod Roark wrote:
>

> >If it's not mounted then you can mount it with something
> >like this:
> >
> > mkdir /myroot
> > mount -t reiserfs  /dev/hdb1  /myroot
> >
> >This assumes your SuSE root partition is /dev/hdb1 (first
> >partiton on secondary drive), change accordingly.
> >
> >Then, see what's in /myroot/etc/lilo.conf or in
> >/myroot/etc/grub.conf, depending on which of these exists,
> >and tell us what you find.
> >
> Okay, this was very helpful.  At the very least I was able to go into my
> home directory and get the mount points for my partitions.  I can now
> make sense out of the partitions in YAST  if I do have to install.  So
> for me that 's great progress.
>
> Here is grub.conf:
> "root(hd1,1)
> install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage 2  /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0)
> /boot/grub/stage2 0x8000
> (hd1,1) /boot/grub.menu.lst
> quit"
>
> I'm not exactly sure about the spacing because I'm going from my
> handwritten notes.  The /boot/grub.menu.lst file looks like it might be
> interesting.  Maybe I could add the duplicate install there, and boot
> up.  But that wouldn't solve the kernel panic problem.

I think the best course of action is to see if you have a previous kernel
and try to figure out why it's not showing up in the grub menu.

> Okay, so it looks like I can slowly navigate with the rescue prompt
> now.  Does anybody have any idea about what I can about the original
> kernel panic message.  Jonathan suggested using the old kernel.  How
> would I do that?

Jonathan's suggestion is the most economical and likely to succeed.  Let's
see what's inside of /boot.  I'm hoping there will be more than one kernel.

Pete

PS- A good project after this is done is to compile your own kernel -- one
that has vital modules, like filesystems, built in rather than loaded as
modules.