[vox-tech] Kernel Panic

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 23 18:13:45 PST 2004

Quoting Rod Roark (rod at sunsetsystems.com):

> Umm... and I suppose Hans Reiser, if presented with this,
> would say "Oh crap, I never thought of that!".

Heh.  ;->

I suspect he'd say "It's worth the risk to get top performance,
especially on filesystems with large numbers of small files."
(The classic example is the spool tree of a Usenet or other nntp
news server carrying a significant number of groups, where ReiserFS
really shines.)

> For what it's worth I use reiserfs almost exclusively, have
> had power failures, and have not experienced a destroyed
> filesystem as a result.  YMMV.

I had the same luck with XFS, when in desperation I converted over to it
near the beginning of the summer 2001 California electric-power crisis.
(See:  "XFS Conversion" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Filesystems)

However, the real-world speed advantage of either ReiserFS or XFS over
ext3 is so incredibly small that, these days, I prefer the extra
protection of filesystem integrity inherent in the latter.

(Ditto about YMMV.)